Dangers Of Household Mold

Mold & Mildew Cause And Effects

One of the effects of water damage in the home is mold growth

Mold and mildew can do a lot of destruction in your house if left untreated.

Poor ventilation in the home is one of the causes of mold.

Infact, mold and mildew do more damage than you can imagine.

The problem becomes more serious when the water is unsanitary or clean-up services are delayed.

 Water damage results in mold growth. Severe rain or faulty plumbing will cause water to seep into the walls of the house. This water will then move through the spaces in the walls, finally
settling below the floor. As a result, moisture will be trapped within the walls making it damp. Within the first 24hrs, mold will begin to grow on it. Like most living organisms, mold requires food and water, which cause it to grow on damp organic surfaces–
 Such as,  drywall, wood furniture, and other wood surfaces. In the first few days, you may not notice the growth nor the effects.
However, after a week, you will begin to openly notice a few signs of mold growth. A few days after that, you will be exposed to the full-blown consequences of mold growth. Below are effects of household mold and mildew growth due to water damage. 
Wall damage by far is one of the most costly hazards that mold and mildew expose us to. Mold grows behind walls, in crevices and in small cracks. These spaces trap air and moisture creating a favorable environment for mold growth. Depending on the material of the wall, mold will begin to consume the surface, resulting in the rottenning of the wall.
It is common on drywall and wood surfaces,because the material is made of nutrients which “feeds” the mold.Over time, the wall will be eaten out. Repairing it can be quite costly if prolonged. To ensure you don’t incur any high cost or unnecessary repairs,have the walls checked as soon as possible. Mold can permanently stain your wall. The most notorious type of mold responsible for the staining is known as black toxic mold. It appears as black spots on
the wall. Many people have failed to distinguish it from ordinary dirt stains while it’s at the primary stages of growth. Mold can easily be detected by using bleach. Simply apply the bleach on a white piece of cloth and rub on the spots. Mold would disappear after a few minutes while a dirt stain will remain. If you don’t remove the mold in time, it will spread over the lower part of the wall and completely decolorize it. Mold and mildew as a health hazard. 
dangers of household mold

 

Mold is very harmful to your health. It is one of the leading causes of asthma. To bring this in perspective, The World Health Organization or “WHO”, conducted research and found that over 300 million cases of asthma for children can be attributed to household mold. In addition, the spores released by mold can cause breathing difficulties. Inhaling it may cause you to develop the flu. Also, damp environments have

 been known to raise depression levels, and cause dizziness and nausea. Prolonged exposure to mold and mildew in your house is very hazardous. Poor ventilation and the sporulation of mold
 
can stain your furniture,dampen the air, resulting in the house being filled with an unpleasant smell. The smell will vary from a wet-earth smell to an unbearable stench depending on the extent of the mold growth. It even becomes worse when the spores enter
your ventilation system. If you have experienced this, it is time to get the house tested and possibly treated for mold.
As you have seen, mold is very dangerous in our households. It should be removed as soon as possible. The removal should be done professionally and properly. If not, you may be forced to move out of your beloved home within months after repeated water damage scenarios.

Call Us Water Damage Restoration And Repair Service

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This